Jun 9, 2009

Liking & Living...



LIKING, for me,aptly defines my attraction towards Surgery.The real work. The Herculean capacity to mind your nerves, and remain in wits, when you see a devastated case, with almost nil chances of survival.
The skill of hands operating on the opened body. The sputter of blood and the bonding by sutures. The suction machine & the cautery. The scalpels & the forceps & the arteries. The mosquito & the needle. The bowel loops & the omentum. The appendix & the Gall Bladder. The Blood & the Bile.The ligature & the vicryl. ALL. All is so fascinating. So Real, so near the human body. Amazing.
The OT table & the lights. The nurses & the Surgeon. On his toes, since morning. The muscle cramps & the then, nauseating feeling. The late night calls for an Emergency & the lack of famly life.
Standing for so long & operating, with keeping your mind always on Patrol, is tough. Atleast for me. The lifestyle of a Surgeon is what I wouldn't want to live, even though I like this field immensely.
Yes, Liking & Living are two different things.

For Living, you do not have to CHOOSE what you LIKE,
But, LIKE what you CHOOSE.




Like. You may like a lot many things. You may develop a fondness for a particular thing, a toy, a teacher, a profession, a person. But, there's an essential difference between liking & living.
One cannot always live with whatever he likes,
and one can't essentially like the way he is living.


Liking is a matter of heart & loving is a matter of an integrated-heart-and-mind.
When it comes to living, you've to be practical, think about your priorities, your abilities. Think about how you dream your future to be, whether the thing you desire would adapt to your style of living.
Analysis. Lots of it is involved. And the mind & heart decide on a thing, which appears more practical, feasible.More nearer to truth & not a fantasy dream.



Henceforth, I pledge to be more practical, and handover my heart to my mind, to chose what is best for me. And thence, I also pledge to 'Like what I Choose.'

No comments: