May 26, 2009

A Live USG Session !

Ever seen that Advertisement of a mother/father visualizing the Baby's movements and heart beating on the USG monitor ? 'Nahin, mein apni beti ki hatya nahi karoonga.'

I always used to think, it was nothing but a gimmick to try to woo people not to abort a girl. I expected them to be something 'crude'. Nothing vivid.
And all these years of my Medical School, I have not managed to even get a subtle-est hint of what is there in the USG recordings. I always have turned to the 'Reports' leaf of the diagnostic modality, and not look into the Black-and-white tracings.

And contrasting to my view, I today happened to be a part of a USG session.
It IS SO LIVELY. I could see the foetus actually moving. Moving his arms, legs.Heart beating. A clear thump of a beat could be seen.ViVID !!


And the fine technique that it is, I could even see the phalanges of the fetus moving. Yes, the cute miniature fingers, the ones which I just love in a newborn, (they are soo soo beautiful!) could be well differentiated.

The four chambers of heart, so clearly appreciated.
The femur, the humerus, the vertebra, ribs, cranium, clavicle ... amongst the bones that I could easily identify.



And some other amazing fetal structures that I was made to see were:
The Falx cerebri, the midline structure separating the two cerebrums.
The yolk Sac, visualized as a small ring like structure on USG ( only in early stage of pregnancy)
The Placenta, the Umbilical cord.
And


One more thing was taught...Sex determination. *popping eyes ??*
huh, Yep, the illegal skill is always transferred and taught first. ;)

One funda which I learnt was:
All fluid IS Anechoic. Hence, it will be seen Black on the recording.

Tele says: USG's fun. Ever get a chance to see a session. Dare not miss it.

4 comments:

Arps said...

what! u had a USG class..cool.
never in my medical career have I seen anything that has something to do with radio besides X-rays and CTs (of course those were total OHT...now that's another story!)

Lucky!

Tele Jane said...

Noo...not a class.
I can neva imagine that in a Govt. scene.
(I suppose, even the O&G ppl/ Surg ppl can't decipher anything from it. They too simply turn to the Notes page.)

I was lucky to visit a known of mine, when she was playing with the fetuses. And, she allowed me to see it and did let some bits of knowledge radiate.

I was seriously LUCKY !!
:)

deluded said...

I dont like USGs.

I think they make too much pollution.

what pollution?

brain pollution!

Tele Jane said...

:)