Aug 31, 2010

Somno-sense

It had been a long day. And a long list of to-do's had been ticked done.
The usual headache had started earlier, and after such a tiring day, I had no patience to sit with a hand on the head.
On the scale of convenience, it was unbearable.

Intuition told me, the routine nap, or the light conversation won't soothe it. So, much against the belief of mine (of avoiding pills, no matter how painful body is) I popped an analgesic.

Is it stress, or is it the preference to not lose time to being unhealthy, that I have developed this compliance to medicines?
Probably both.

Analgesics had specially been a no-no for me. I always used to profess not using them for pains so tolerable.
Not anymore, though.
Diclomol relieved me of the puncturing ache in a matter of 15 minutes, and I wished to read a bit.
But, all wishes aren't accepted by the higher.
Besides, sleeping was a more logical option.

Deep into sleep, might be a very odd hour then, I just saw a small black thing entering my room. I usually keep my hostel room doors open, for the cross ventilation. The rooms here can get warm and suffocating, and it won't be a surprise to find yourself drenched in sweat when you get up the subsequent morning.

Circulation was the only solution. And keeping the door open was only second to using an air cooler.

Saving myself the hassle to fill in water daily, and preventing my super-active sleep centers to be provided the leisure, I had ruled out this 'first' option.

Also, keeping the door open isn't much an inconvenience. At least, not for a single-noncommitted-always soberly dressed girl. The rest have to talk all night, or take care about what part of skin is showing (thanks to their short revealing dresses).

Ever since I shifted to this new room, have had a few encounters with creatures.
First, it was a lizard. Crawled her out.
Then, there were lots of flying creatures. Rained them out.
And, Ants - They have been constitutive.
They always are.

I have personally hated the Cicadas!
i.e. the Jhingoor, or the udane-wali-kisaari.

In the slight light, the rods were making much the similar picture on the retina.
In the REM patch that I had hit, I got up. Seeing it crawl fast into the room, I caught hold of the sandal that lay in the shoe-rack. Creeping faster, along the walls of the room, it went behind my chair, I spotted it, and hit once.

Escaping, it went below my bed. I lay over my bed, with the legs and the head in air, and carefully looked for any motion anywhere. It was far darker here. And by the time the rods started their night vision efficiently, I saw it moving under the table.

Not wasting a single second, I hit it once. It still was running. Twice. Thrice.
It was the fifth hit, that I was lucky with.

It didn't move anymore, and I could see this shiny substance on the sole.

I knew it was time the creature bid a goodbye to the world.

Making no efforts to keep the sandal back at place, I just closed the door, and slept. It was 4 then.


Got up in the morning, and seeing the sandal out of place, the whole incident recapped, and I felt sorry for killing the poor creature.

Apologizing to God in my daily morning prayers, I did my daily chores.

Not finding even a single remnant of the creature, anywhere in the room, (except the body fluids that stained the sole) I knew ants have their food for this week.

At lunch only did I know that the creature who morphed cicada last night, was a Scorpion. And it had been on a trip to others rooms as well, and they saw it entering my room too.

It’s only now that I realize that the wings were, in reality, the sting!


PS: After knowing the reality, I've checked each and every nook and corner, and crevices in my room, for any live bichoo who might be waiting for the night for a revenge. I mean, I don't even clearly remember that it was killed or not. *dead scared*

Tele wonders: First, thieves; and now, Scorpion. 
                        Why have I been doing brave tasks only when half-asleep? 

                        Hmmm... I've decided, I'm going for AIPGMEE sleeping. ;)

4 comments:

mgeek said...

Good luck! :-)

Tele Jane said...

Yeah.
Lucky I was!! ;)

The Sage said...

in-te-resting... killing a bichhoo in sleep!! you coould start a coaching class for american army, or al qaeda, or both!!

Tele Jane said...

@ The Sage-
haha!!
First, I guess, the doctors would be the target trainees. ;)
They need it much more, to prevent themselves from the rowdy mobs!! ;)

thanks for visiting!! :)