Sep 7, 2008

Social Networking Sites !!





A Craze (Everyone’s Joining)
A Phenomenon (It has gained Immense popularity !)
A Fashion (Wateva new Pops up, ppl grab onto it…so that thay can be ‘with the latest-Updated’ tag ! )
An Essentiality (*Grin* ‘You don’t have an Orkut Account or a Facebook profile! :o )
An Addiction !!

That’s how I sum up these Sites !!

Been there, done it all, now is the phase when I feel its FUTILITY, triviality, worthlessness & frivolousness !!

Well, Well, no need to fume over ! Yes, I agree to the fact that some benefits do exist;
But,
Why do I wish a ‘Happy Birthday’ (with some emoticons), to people whose Birthday doesn’t matter to me…& even by wishing them a couple of times, I still do not recall even the months of their Birthdays !! :D

Why do I send a common ‘Happy Diwali’ scrap to all, when it is nothing more than a mere formality from my side!!

Why do I say a ‘Thank You’ to people wishing me, A Happy Birthday, who just fulfill this duty, every year, & not bumping in ever again till my biological clock completes a full, happening, another circle (Year !!)

Why do I join a community of my previous school, & never open it again, for, wateva keeps on ticking in the community is nothing, but
“What would you do to the profile above- Shake Hands, Hug, Kiss, Fuck ?” *Fuck* Huh !

Why do I join my current college community, when I am here & have a closer & a direct look at my college, its inhabitants & the things brewing up !!

Why do I accept friend requests of some once-long ago-seen-and-talked-people; or reject the requests of DUDES (or Hearthrobs or Hunks, as they consider themselves) ‘who are new to city & need a friend’ OR ‘some other people who consider themselves Amitabh Bachchan, & expect me to feel OBLIGED & BLESSED n SHRIEK – “Aah…How great to have a Friend In you !! “ ‘

Why do I keep myself updated about wat’s going in other’s life ?
Why do I trespass into their personal ‘territory’ n peep into their crush list ?
Why do I actually wanna publicize my private life?
Why do I keep on putting a new display pic, alter what my profile reads, upload new pics…when there is no one who is keeping an eye on it & when I don’t want a thesis being written outta it !!

The whole thing has created a virtual world in which we live happily (we-feel-so), expressing ourselves, despite knowing that no-one-gives-a-damn to our feelings ! We have distanced ourselves from our immediate surroundings, ONE’S WHICH KEEP US HUMANS !!
We are looking into the screens that connect us to the world, blinded to the eyes that speak emotions. We are ear-plugged to the songs & voice-chats, deafened to the family chit-chats & household ‘noise’. We are fingering innumerable replies, paralyzed to any work that mom says. We are connected to everyone across the world, but statue-d to our rooms, anaesthetic to touch !
This virtual, robotic world is making us more desolate, more machine-ic and emptying us from within !

I, revived myself, by fighting this menacing addiction and after a rehab, I am feeling more HAPPY, more HUMANE, & radiating Happiness to the people who are bothered about me & those who matter to me- to say- THOSE WHO ARE MINE !

!! TATA ORKUT !!
An Obituary to Orkut…
But, I won’t miss you ! :) (as of now !! ;) )

2 comments:

Ankit said...

Superb beginning.. The description was really exhaustive and included everything possible..
Must say, you put down your thoughts very effectively..
But I do feel that these social networking sites are not completely useless.. Its just that you got to prevent urself from getting addicted to it.

Tele Jane said...

Very truely & correctly said !!
Indeed, one needs to prevent themselves from getting addicted to it...!!
But, unfortunately, observing many around me, makes me realise how Orkut/Facebook has become an essentiality for them ,in their own words (and an addiction, as I diagnose it!)

ad·dic·tion ~ The condition of being habitually or compulsively occupied with or involved in something.

I am not completely against these sites, but I think, every task needs to be done at the right time; & when I find small 8th & 9th class kids being hooked to them, I feel Sad for their future!

Thanks for the honest comments !! :)